1. Home
Sarah Aguirre

Hot, Cold, or Warm. What Temperature For Laundry?

By January 19, 2014

My youngest son is annoyed with someone in the house who washed his favorite sweater in hot water and shrunk it. Knowing the basics of temperature and laundry is important if you want the results to be good.  What exactly is the cold setting for?  What happens if you do a hot wash and a cold rinse?  It turns out that temperature can make a big difference.

Comments

February 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm
(1) mspat says:

We have decided to use cold water only, to save money heating water. How dirty can a person get? If really filthy I would soak laundry a bit.

February 11, 2009 at 6:11 am
(2) shobha says:

It is always good to soak dirty clothes in luke warm water for 2hrs.Always wash cotton white clothes in hot water.

February 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm
(3) Seanette says:

I generally do whites in hot, colors in warm. We use powdered detergent both for price and hauling convenience (we live in an apartment building), and my husband is firmly convinced that warmer water dissolves the detergent better.

September 3, 2010 at 6:56 pm
(4) Seth says:

“How dirty can a person get?” Well, you’ve never seen my two 8-year-olds! Playing in raw human sewage does incredibly foul things to a JC Penney pullover!

January 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm
(5) Steph says:

I never thought about soaking a heavily-soiled load. Good idea. Generally I only wash whites and sheets/towles in hot water to kill germs, but everything else gets a cold wash. I use cloth diapers on my little one and those get a hot rinse and a hot wash and they come out clean and white as if they were new.

February 25, 2011 at 11:10 am
(6) Bob in Bay says:

I was everything in cold water and do a 2nd rinse and my clothes are just as clean not soap stained or shrunk. Shirts, pants, includig sweat clothes are all hung to dry rather than a clothes drier and my clothes last forever.