- Dust down the ceiling and corners.
Consider if the walls in your home need to be washed. Check here for information on how to clean different wall surfaces. Don't forget air vents and switch plates.
More Surface Cleaning Resources
- Dust and clean all wall art.
Be careful when cleaning framed art and photographs. Never spray cleaner or water onto the frame. The liquid can seep behind the glass and damage the pictures. Instead lightly wet a clean cloth to wipe the frame and glass.
More Dusting Resources
- Clean the Ceiling Fan.
You know what's worse than a fly in your soup, a large chunk of dust from your ceiling fan in your soup. Dust the fan and fan blades. You may need to use a gentle cleanser like Murphy’s Oil Soap mixed with water and a cleaning cloth. Take down light fixtures and gently wash and dry them before replacing.
More Cleaning Resources
- Take down draperies and curtains to wash or have cleaned according to the directions.
Dust down any blinds and other window treatments. Dust down and wash window sills and corners. Wash the inside and outsides of windows. Take down and rinse off screens, before replacing.
More Windows Resources
- Wash down the dining table, chairs, and any other furniture thoroughly.
If you have wood furniture that needs to be oiled or waxed, do this now. If your chairs have an upholstered seat, spot clean the seats.
- Clean the carpet and rugs.
You can choose to use a carpet professional, rent a cleaning machine, or vacuum and spot-treat according to soil level.
More Floor Care Resources
- This room will probably be one of the easier rooms in your home. With the uprising of eat-in-kitchens many of us find our dining rooms not used. Save this room for a day when you don't have a lot of time or pair it with another task.
- Using music can motivate you to stick with a job. Throw on some tunes and dance while you dust. Although you might want to wait until after you've shut the blinds.
What You Need
- Dust mop (preferably with a long handle)
- Cleaning cloths
- Small bucket with handle
- Vacuum with attachment
- Gentle cleanser
- Rug shampoo machine with upholstery attachment (optional)
- Spot remover for upholstery or carpets (optional)