- Start with the 15 Minute Bedroom Cleanup or for a child's room the 15 Minute Kid's Room Cleanup.
This will help get your master bedroom into a workable place for you to begin.
- Dust down the ceiling and corners in the master bedroom.
Consider if the walls in your home need to be washed. Dont forget air vents, doorknobs, and switch plates. Dust and clean all wall art. Be careful when cleaning framed art and photographs. Never spray cleaner or water onto the frame. The liquid can seep behind the glass and damage the pictures. Instead light wet a clean cloth to wipe the frame and glass.
- Clean the ceiling fan in the master bedroom.
Dust the fan and fan blades. You may need to use a gentle cleanser like Murphys Oil soap mixed with water and a cleaning cloth. Take down light fixtures and gently wash and dry them before replacing.
- Take down draperies and curtains to wash or have cleaned according to the directions.
Dust down any blinds and other window treatments. Dust down and wash window sills and corners. Wash the inside and outsides of windows. Take down and rinse off screens, before replacing.
- Wash all bedding, comforters, mattress pads, pillows, etc. from your master bedroom.
Vacuum and flip your mattress over to provide even wear. Clean out from under your bed. Replace bed with clean bedding.
- Dust down and clean all accent lamps and knickknacks in the master bedroom.
Use a vacuum attachment or duster to clean the lamp shade, lamps, and any extra decorative items.
- Dust down all dressers, chests, and nightstands.
Clean any mirrors.
- Clean flooring in the master bedroom.
Dust and mop for hard floors. Professionally clean carpet, or vacuum and spot treat for mildly soiled floors.
- Use the 4 container method to go through the closets, drawers, and boxes. Put the keep items back into the closet.
- Inventory master bedroom changes.
Take the chance now to inventory the furniture, bedding, and decorations in the master bedroom. Make a list of items that may need to be replaced or updated. Next time someone needs a gift idea, or you find a surplus in your household budget, you'll have your list ready.
- Either do the closets first or save them for last. Don't try to get started decluttering in the middle. You might get distracted and end up with nothing done.
- Music, an audio book, or a good friend on speaker phone are great ways to help pass the time.
- Don't skip under your bed. For many of us it can be scary, but it has to be done eventually.
- Don't forget to go through the clothing, shoes, and accessories in your closets and drawers. Carefully pack away seasonal clothing that may be taking up needed space.
What You Need
- 4 boxes or containers
- Broom or vacuum
- Mop or carpet machine
- Spot carpet cleaner
- Dust mop
- Dust cloths
- Mild cleanser
- Laundry products for laundering bedding
- Mirror and window cleaner