- Take everything out of the linen closet.
To get the full scope of what linens you have and what shape they are in, you need to take everything out. Put linens into four groups, give away/sell, throw away, store elsewhere, and keep. Throw away, put away, and pack up any items that will no longer be kept in the linen closet. Leave the keep items in a pile outside of the linen closet for now.
- Vacuum and dust the interior of the linen closet.
Wipe down the interior shelves with a dust cloth. Vacuum the corners and floor of the linen closet. If it has been awhile since the closet has been cleaned, it may require a mopping as well. If the shelves are not lined and/or sealed, lay down shelf liner to protect your linens.
- Fold the linens. This is the make it or break it part of organizing your linens. For towels, fold the long lengths into thirds before folding into a perfect square. Sheet sets can be folded neatly and placed inside a coordinating pillow case. For bulky items like tablecloths and runners, consider using an over the door towel rack on the door of your linen closet. This will free up space in your linen closet and keep the bulky items neat and organized.
- Put linens back into the linen closet. Even after all that work, the first time you put a stack of towels back into a linen closet, they might fall over. Avoid this by purchasing wire shelf dividers that will keep stacks tight and separate, while still allowing you to pull from any part of the stack. Put bulky winter blankets, and out of season items in the very top of the linen closet. Place sheet sets on one shelf, and towels on another in the middle of the linen closet. I store my kitchen linens and multi-purpose rags in my kitchen, but they can be put in a bin in the linen closet if you prefer.
- Put any non-linen items back into the linen closets.
I store a portable vacuum cleaner and swimming supplies in our linen closet. The bottom of the linen closet can be a good place to store other items for easy access.
What You Need
- Dust cloth
- Shelf liner
- Over the door towel rack (optional)
- Shelf dividers (optional)