1. Add baking soda to a cool oven.
Sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda onto the bottom of the oven. Make sure the oven is completely cool before you attempt to do this.
2. Spray the baking soda with water.
Using a spray bottle, spray the baking soda down until it is damp, not saturated. The water and baking soda together will help break down the food particles.
3. Continue spraying baking soda as it dries out.
Every few hours spray the baking soda down again to keep it moist. Continue this process over several hours, spraying water as the baking soda begins to dry out.
4. Scrape out the baking soda.
Scrape the baking soda out of the oven. Food residue will be scraped out with the baking soda.
5. Rinse the bottom of the oven out thoroughly.
Yes, you'll still have to rinse out the oven, but next time you cook your food won't have an added taste of oven cleaner.