- Make the bed.
Taking a few moments to smooth out the bed and straighten the sheets and blankets will make a big difference in the look of your dorm room. Small one room living usually makes the bed a focal point. Make sure your bedding is simple enough to be easily made up when you're in a hurry.
- Grab the trash.
Whether it's crumpled up drafts of a history essay, or empty pizza boxes from breakfast, grabbing all of the trash out of your room will make a big difference. Grab a trash bag, and dump it all.
- Contain the laundry.
Stuff all of the dirty laundry into hampers or dirty clothes baskets. If your hampers are overflowing it may be time to schedule a laundry date. If you have a lot of clean laundry that hasn't been put away, neatly stack it on your bed to put away later. Before you can go to bed, you'll have to put away the laundry.
- Use a basket to grab lost items.
Put anything in the basket that needs to be filed, put away, returned to its owner, etc. Since your dorm room is small, this probably won't be a lot of stuff. If you're running low on time, don't worry about replacing the items now. If there are only a few, take the time now to put them away.
- Wipe down surfaces.
Use an all purpose cleaner and wipe down all of the washable surfaces with a paper towel or all purpose wipe. Don't worry about tough stuck on stuff, just quickly wipe down all of the surfaces.
- Tackle the floor.
Sweep or vacuum the floor, focusing only on the visible part of the floor. Put away the cleaning supplies and your clean dorm room is ready for visitors. . If there’s time, you can use a paper towel and an all purpose spray on any sticky or obvious spots on hard surface floors.
- If you don't seem to have room for all of your clothes, consider storing out of season clothes. Under the bed or the tops of closets can be a great space to store plastic containers full of clothes that will be needed later.
- Make sure that you don't use all purpose cleaner on surfaces that are not washable. If in doubt, test it first in a hidden spot.
- Don't worry about vacuuming under the bed or in hard to reach areas in a quick clean up. Just vacuum the main traffic areas.
What You Need
- All Purpose Cleaner
- Laundry Hampers
- Broom and Dustpan or Vacuum Cleaner