From the article: 4 Easy Ways To Remove Refrigerator Odors
Ever opened up the refrigerator and received a nasty surprise? Whether it's a spill, a smell, or something growing inside your refrigerator, these disasters are no fun. Share your worst refrigerator disasters with other readers and learn what to be wary of in your own refrigerator. Share Your Disasters
Old can of nacho cheese in the fridge!
- I had can of nacho cheese in the fridge that was not open. (I thought). My fridge started to smell horrible. I keept cleaning it every day for more than a week, until I found out that the can of nacho cheese had been opened and was the culprit. I remember putting it inside three heavy trash bags because the smell was so offensive and I didn't want to disturb the neighborhood on trash day!
- —Guest Hildy
not frozen pizza
- I was the manager of a food court in a department store when the water fountain sprung a leak. Naturally the maintenence people turned the power off to the fountain. Little did they know that the back-stock freezer for the food court was plugged into the wall on the other side. We didn't have to get into that freezer for about a week. A week was waaay tooo long!
- —Guest refrigerator disasters
- I was in a hurry to defrost my freezer before I had a frost free one. I used an ice pick to speed things along. I punctured a hole in the bottom of the freezer and lost all the freeon and almost lost my happy home.
- —Guest Many years ago
The power was out for 2 weeks
- We lived in an apartment complex and the underground power line was accidentally cut leaving us with no electricity for about 2 weeks. I lost all the food in both my refrigerator and freezer. Of course I had just gone food shopping. In addition, since my stove was electric I couldn't cook. It was a very expensive 2 weeks.
- My husband likes his soda REALLY cold. He puts the can in the freezer "for a little while." About twice a year he forgets one. It explodes and sprays everything in the freezer with sticky goo.
- We had a container of sun tea leak. Tea film on each of the shelves. The glass shelves needed to be taken out and cleaned. Each item had to have the bottom wiped down. What a day!
- —Guest tea leak
- One summer morning I was running late to go clean for a senior friend. I hurriedly grabbed something from the fridge freezer to defrost for supper. Upon my return about 6 hours later I discovered the freezer door had not shut. It was wide open and everything in the freezer had thawed out enough that it couldn't be re-frozen! As this was also the day before heading away for a long week-end I didn't have time to cook everything. I called some friends and offered them the contents of the freezer. Thankfully very little was wasted. Now I always check that the refridgerator doors are tightly closed!
- —Guest Megan
- I always forget about my lettuce until it is liquid and clear. So gross. I guess I need to just forget about eating lettuce, I always waste it.
- —Guest franny
- I wrapped up leftover fajitas and left them in the fridge. Big mistake. By morning the entire refrigerator smelled like fajitas. Not so bad? Ever eaten fajita flavored milk and butter? Next time, I'll seal them up better.
- —Guest denwen47
- I opened my refrigerator last week to realize that someone had put a partially opened bottle of juice on its side. It had leaked EVERYWHERE. The veggie drawer on the bottom was full of juice. I had to take everything out, wash it all off, and put it all back. What a pain!
- —Guest Carol